October 25, 2011

Child care triumph

After 3 different child care centres and many many dropped lips and tears, yesterday we had a victory. Matilda stayed at 'kindy' for four entire hours...happily! I left her there at 9:40am, she kissed me goodbye like the ice-maiden she is, not a whiff of emotion on her sweet little face, and swiftly dove into the yellow with pink sparkles play dough they had on offer. I skipped out of the room high-fiving every child care worker within sight! I knew in my bones that this the first day of the rest of our lives as truly independent beings. No more dropped quivering lips and cries to the tune of ' no go kindy...wha wha wha'. I'd hit pay dirt. I had FOUR ENTIRE HOURS in my home alone. I achieved so much I had to stop and recline on my grandmothers fluorescent aqua chaise lounge and just take it all in. No-one to district me or interrupt me from my blitz of productivity. No constant drone of nursery rhymes or dulcet tones curtesy of ABC2 (thank-you babysitting machine from heaven) in the background. I listened to grown-up music and I achieved! Having Matilda around for the last 23.5 months has taught me to be adaptable, responsive, flexible and attentive. Skills I REALLY needed to learn and am SO grateful for. I also have lots of fun with her but being a stay-at-home mum can be full on. LIke everything in life, a balance is all we need for equilibrium. Intuitively I've always known I needed time away from my daughter but I think its taken her (and me to an extent) this time to be ready for it. I had so much more mummy gas in my tank when I fetched her at 2pm...high on life and super proud of my little Picasso in training. The painting she did that day will be titled...'Triumph' and displayed proudly on our kitchen wall.

1 comment:

  1. You speak my truth wise woman!
    Line me up for those high fives and shimmie over on the chaise. XX

    ReplyDelete