October 26, 2011
To Comment or not to comment? Bright cobalt blue metallic nail polish
About five years ago I commented on my sister-in-law (whom I love with a passion) Jo's bright cobalt metallic blue nail polish. It was not a complimentary comment. I thought I was doing her a favour by telling her it was tacky. It offended me. Not her choice to wear it. The colour itself offended me. Perhaps this was because I had a dress made by Memphis of Chapel street in 1997 of the same colour, in an equally tacky stretch sateen fabric. Since 1998, I saw the hideousness of this dress/colour choice, about which my lovely Lauriston friends would oft remind me, even still this dress and the accompanying faux tan caked-on-makeup and crazy-`tacky bouffant will come up in conversation. But I digress. The colour offended me, So obviously I was the one with the problem. Who gets offended by colours? I guess I do. What does that make me? I don't know and I don't care. Ironically, however, I had my comeuppance when of late, gelati colours were featured in an OPI nail polish campaign and I got sucked into the vacuum pull of mass media when someone painfully cool like Chloe Sevigny was photographed wearing it. So I purchased and wore pale blue gelati coloured nail polish. My sister-in-law brought this up the other day and reminded me, albeit in a joking fashion, of how rude I was when I commented on her blue nail polish years ago...oops. Moral of this story. Keep one's opinions and one's 'do the world a favour one less offensive nail polish colour at a time' attitude to oneself! For as sure as night follows day and fashion cycles like Cadel, what goes around surely comes around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment